Five European supercomputing centres, namely BSC (Spain), CEA (France), CINECA (Italy), CSCS (Switzerland) and JSC (Germany), agreed to align their services to facilitate the creation of the Fenix Infrastructure. The distinguishing characteristic of this e-infrastructure is that data repositories and scalable supercomputing systems are in close proximity and well integrated. An initial version of this infrastructure is currently being realised through the ICEI project (Interactive Computing E-Infrastructure), which is part of the European Human Brain Project (HBP). Researchers from or associated to the HBP are the initial prime users of this e-infrastructure.
The objectives of the ICEI project can be summarized as follows:
- To perform a coordinated procurement of equipment and related maintenance services, licences for software components, and R&D services for realizing elements of the Fenix e-infrastructure;
- Design a generic e-infrastructure for the HBP, driven by its scientific use-cases and usable by other scientific communities;
- Build the e-infrastructure having the following key characteristics
- Interactive Computing Services
- Elastic access to scalable compute resources
- Federated data infrastructure;
- Establish a suitable e-infrastructure governance
- Develop a resource allocation mechanism to provide resources to HBP users and European researchers at large; and
- Assist in the expansion of the e-infrastructure to other communities that provide additional resources.
Access to available resources is provided following the peer review principles which have been established by PRACE. This access is provided to European scientists from all scientific domains, free of charge at the point of usage. Additionally, Fenix has established a programmatic access mechanism for members of the Human Brain Project (HBP) and partnering projects communities.
The Fenix Infrastructure is open to other communities who want to contribute resources and use the infrastructure. For any questions regarding access to resources of the Fenix Infrastructure, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information: fenix-ri.eu