SP8 Medical Informatics Platform
The Medical Informatics Platform (MIP) is an innovative data management system that gives researchers the means to access and analyse large amounts of anonymized clinical neuroscience data.
SP8 had three objectives for the Ramp-Up Phase. The first was to build tools to federate clinical data that are currently locked in hospital and research archives, while providing technical guarantees that researchers are unable to link the data to individual patients except under strict medical control and legal supervision. The second objective was to recruit hospitals to use the system, and the third was to develop tools that would enable users to extract unique biological signatures of disease from multi-level data for patients with many different disorders. This will make it possible to develop a new, comprehensive classification of brain diseases, based on parameterised combinations of biological features and markers.
These initial steps will accelerate the development of a new category of biologically based diagnostics, supported by strong mechanistic hypotheses of disease causation. Disease signatures will also serve as disease-specific configurations for reconstructing models of disease and performing in silico experiments with the Brain Simulation Platform. The results will help researchers to develop new targets and new strategies for treatment. Brain simulation will make it possible to predict the desirable and undesirable effects of treatments, providing valuable input for industry decision-makers before they invest in expensive programmes of animal experimentation or human trials.
In SGA1, SP8 aims to achieve:
- A first version of the Medical Informatics Platform, with access for academic researchers, epidemiologists and clinicians;
- Federation nodes in five hospitals for in-situ querying of anonymised data;
- Web-based services for neuro-epidemiological studies, interactive analysis and exploraiton of the biological signatures of Alzheimer's disease;
- Initial publicaitons demonstrating the value of the Platform.
SP Leader: Ferath KHERIF
Deputy SP Leader: Mira MARCUS KALISH
Work Package Leaders:
- WP8.1 Federated Clinical Data Infrastructure (FCDI): Anastasia AILAMAKI
- WP8.2 Data Selection and Community Engagement: Bogdan DRAGANSKI
- WP8.3 Data Features, Tools and Biological Signatures of Disease: Mira MARCUS KALISH
- WP8.4 Theory, Disease Models & Big Data Engineering: Ferath KHERIF
- WP8.5 The Medical Informatics Platform: Ferath KHERIF
- WP8.6 Scientific Coordination: Ferath KHERIF