SP6 Brain Simulation Platform
SP6 provides an internet-accessible collaborative Platform, the Brain Simulation Platform, designed for predictive reconstruction and simulation of brain models.
The Brain Simulation Platform comprises a suite of software tools and workflows that allow researchers to reconstruct and simulate biologically detailed multi-level models of the brain displaying emergent structures and behaviours. The Platform makes it possible to reconstruct and simulate models at different levels of description, e.g. abstract computational models, point neuron models, detailed cellular level models of neuronal circuitry, molecular level models of small areas of the brain, and multi-scale models that switch dynamically between different levels of description. This allows experimentalists and theoreticians to choose the level of detail appropriate to the questions they are asking, taking into account the data and computing power available. The Platform is designed to support continuous integration of biological data and implementation of biological principles, ensuring that the models become steadily more accurate and detailed. Tools developed for the Platform will allow researchers to collaboratively design and run in silico experiments to further validate the models, and to perform experiments and manipulations that are not possible in the lab. Such experiments will contribute to identifying the neuronal architectures underlying specific brain functions, to studies of the mechanisms underlying neurological and psychiatric disease and to the simplification of neuronal circuitry for implementation in neuromorphic technology. The Project will use these tools to reconstruct and validate first-draft models of different levels of brain organisation, in mice and in humans. The ultimate goal is to develop multi-scale (simple to complex), multi-level (genes to whole brain) models of the mouse and human brains.
The first version of the Brain Simulation Platform was built and released during the Ramp-Up Phase. This effort built on previous work in the Blue Brain Project.
In SGA1, SP6 hopes to provide:
- Scaffold models of molecular-level principal neurons, and cellular-level reconstrucitons of selected cortical and sub-cortical regions;
- Network-level models of the whole mouse brain;
- Simplified models for implementaiton in neuromorphic computing systems;
- Initial verison of the Brain Simulation Platform, incorporating algorithms and workflows for the reconstruciton and simulaiton of subcellular, cellular, microcircuit, and meso-circuit (brain region/system) levels;
- Tools and protocols for in silico experimentation and model validation.
SP Leader: Henry MARKRAM
Work Package Leaders:
- WP6.1 Subcellular and Molecular Modelling: Jeanette HELLGREN KOTALESKI
- WP6.2 Cellular-Level and Whole-Brain Modelling: Egidio D'ANGELO
- WP6.3 Reconstruction and Simulation Tools: Felix SCHÜRMANN
- WP6.4 Brain Simulation Platform: Michele MIGLIORE
- WP6.5 Coordination and Community Outreach: Jeanette HELLGREN KOTALESKI
Visit the SP6 YouTube channel